THE FUTURE IS NOW. THE FUTURE IS ROLLERBALL
Arrow Video is thrilled to announce the Blu-ray release of the iconic 1975-futuristic dystopian
thriller Rollerball. Released on 23rd March 2015, Rollerball represents the very best of the “Future Sport” flicks; a pre-cursor to such genre classics as The Running Man, Battle Royale and even The Hunger Games, the film explores the popularity of violent entertainment and the power of the media, but it goes further, looking more profoundly at the society beyond the game.
This new release will include a host of exciting extra features including audio commentaries with both director Norman Jewison and writer William Harrison alongside a brand-new interview with Rollerball star James Caan.
Other brand-new extras include featurettes The Fourth City: Shooting Rollerball in Munich in which various crew members revisit the original locations used in the film, alongside The Bike Work which sees stuntman Craig R. Baxley discuss the motorcycle stunts in Rollerball and the challenges and dangers of being one of the Rollerball bikers.
The new edition will also include archive bonus material such as Return to the Arena: The Making of Rollerball, and From Rome to Rollerball: The Full Circle an original EPK from the release bringing together interviews and on-set footage.
Rounding off the Blu-ray is the original theatrical trailer, TV Spots, a reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper and a collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, illustrated with original archive stills and posters.
In a corporate-controlled future, the world’s nations have been disbanded and conflict is a thing of the past. But blood continues to be shed on the tracks of Rollerball – a brutal contact sport which pits players in a battle of life and death.
James Caan (The Godfather, Thief, Misery) plays Jonathan E., celebrated captain of the Houston Rollerball team whose prowess on the track has earned him renown across the globe. But this fame has also attracted the ire of the games’ corporate sponsors, who wish to suppress any displays of individual achievement – fearing this could encourage the populace to revolt. With the powers-that-be pushing for his retirement, Jonathan is faced with a choice – concede to the Corporation’s will or take a stand, by continuing to compete in the increasingly deadly games.
Shot in Munich to make use of the city’s futuristic Olympic architecture, Rollerball is a classic slice of dystopian filmmaking, mixing high-octane action sequences with gripping (and thoroughly prescient) social commentary. The future is now – the future is Rollerball!
Special Edition Contents
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the film from a digital transfer prepared by MGM Studios
- Optional uncompressed stereo 2.0 audio and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround Sound
- Isolated Music and Effects Soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio Commentary with director Norman Jewison
- Audio Commentary with writer William Harrison
- Blood Sports with James Caan – A brand-new interview with the Rollerball star
- The Fourth City: Shooting Rollerball in Munich – Unit manager Dieter Meyer and others revisit the Audi Dome and other original locations
- The Bike Work: Craig R. Baxley on the Motorcycle Stunts in Rollerball – Stunt artist Baxley on the challenges and dangers of being one of the Rollerball bikers
- Return to the Arena: The Making of Rollerball
- From Rome to Rollerball: The Full Circle – original EPK bringing together interviews and on-set footage
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Theatrical Teaser
- TV Spots
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, illustrated with original archive stills and posters.