Arrow Video is thrilled to announce the world premiere Blu-ray release of Japanese cult director Takashi Miike’ musical horror-comedy, The Happiness of the Katakuris. Described as The Sound of Music meets Dawn of the Dead, this wacky Japanese cult classic will debut on Blu-ray in all its crazy glory from 22nd June 2015.
A super-production by Japanese star standards, Miike’s film features a cast that the filmmakers compare to Elvis Presley, Mick Jagger, Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon and other Hollywood royalty! Taking a small Korean horror comedy as its inspiration (which Miike claims he watched on a poor quality VHS without subtitles) the renegade filmmaker re-made the film in his inimitable style, with the addition of music numbers for a truly bizarre concoction of genres that produces one of the finest comedy horrors of recent times!
Presented with new transfer of the film, this disc will come loaded bonus content, including an extensive brand new interview with Miike himself, a commentary by his biographer Tom Mes and much more including interviews and featurettes on the making of the film, the cast and their roles and a video essay profile of Miike’s sensational career.
Packaged with the release is newly commissioned artwork by the Twins of Evil and a fully-illustrated collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing by authors and critics on the film itself, The Quiet Family, the film’s star musicians (‘Elvis’ and ‘Jagger’) and a contemporary interview with Miike, illustrated with original stills.
From Takashi Miike, the prolific director of such shocking hits including Audition and Ichi the Killer comes “The Sound of Music meets Dawn of the Dead”!
The Katakuri family run a peaceful country inn at the foot of Mount Fuji. A little more peaceful than anticipated, their only visitors arrive in a series of suicides, murders and inexplicable deaths. In order not to ruin their reputation, the Katakuris decide to bury the bodies, but will the cover-ups come back to haunt them…
The Happiness of the Katakuris combines scenes of grotesque stop motion animation, surreal musical numbers and zombies to make one of the finest horror-comedies ever made
- New High Definition digital film transfer by Shochiku Co.
- Presented in High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD
- Original uncompressed Stereo PCM audio
- Audio commentary by director Takashi Miike
- Audio commentary by Miike biographer Tom Mes
- Violent 'til I Die – A brand new interview with Takashi Miike
- The Making of the Katakuris – An original documentary from the film’s production featuring interviews and behind-the-scenes footage with the cast and crew
- Interviews with the Katakuris cast members Kenji Sawada, Keiko Matsuzaka, Kiyoshiro Imawano, Shinji Takeda, Naomi Nishida, Tetsuro Tanba and Miike
- Animating the Katakuris – A look at the creation of the film’s stop motion effects with animation director Hideki Kimura and Miike
- Dogs, Pimps and Agitators – A visual essay on Miike's career by Tom Mes
- Trailer and TV Spots
- Easter egg
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by the Twins of Evil
- Booklet featuring new writing on the film by author Johnny Mains; Stuart Galbraith IV on Katakuris' star musicians Kenji Sawada and Kiyoshiro Imawano; Grady Hendrix on Katakuris and The Quiet Family, the film it remade; and a re-printed interview with Miike conducted by Sean Axmaker, illustrated with original stills